We present the cheapest shots of the 2008 season. Review the plays and vote for the cheapest shot at the bottom. This is like the WWE's Royal Rumble. It happens only once a year and you get to vote only once, so put some thought into it. The videos, in no particular order, are after the jump so we don't tie up your browser loading the main page.
This is the third year we've featured cheap shots, and here are links to the 2007 and 2006 cheapies. A chop block by Auburn's Chaz Ramsey on Louisiana State's Glenn Dorsey was voted the cheapest shot of 2007. A late hit by Texas A&M's Kellen Heard on Colt McCoy was selected the cheapie of 2006.
A note to Boise State fans, who are not going to like what they are about to see. Three of the videos involve plays by the Broncos. No, we aren't picking on your team. It just so happens that three of the videos came from the Boise State-Oregon game — two involving your players and another involving an Oregon Duck.
The most-penalized team this past season was Hawaii.
1. Houston defensive end Phillip Hunt flattens Tulane quarterback Joe Kemp after a whistle blows the play dead for delay of game. Kemp suffered a fractured collarbone.
2. Boise State safety Ellis Powers puts the hammer down on Oregon quarterback Jeremiah Masoli, who suffered a concussion.
3. Boise State safety Jeron Johnson is ejected for a shot on Oregon receiver Ed Dickson. It's the second play on this video. Powers' hit on Masoli is the first play.
4. Here is Boise State's Johnson again getting in on the action, drilling San Jose State receiver David Richmond. Johnson was benched for the rest of the game after this play.
5. Texas Tech's Brandon Williams nails Texas A&M quarterback Jerrod Johnson with a late hit.
6. Two cheapies on this video. After Oklahoma's DeMarcus Granger flattens Washington's Casey Bulyca before the ball is snapped, the Huskies' retaliate, with Bulyca, center Juan Garcia and guard Jordan White-Frisbee triple teaming to thug up Granger. You can see Garcia organizing the attack in the huddle.
7. An unidentified Auburn lineman goes low and for the left knee of Alabama's Luther Davis.
8. Two Minnesota cheapies in the loss to Iowa. The Golden Gophers lost, 55-0, but these plays came long before the game was a blowout.
9. Oregon offensive lineman Mark Lewis uses his helmet as a weapon against Boise State safety George Iloka.
10. A fan flashes a laser pointer at Oklahoma State quarterback Zac Robinson during the Cowboys' victory at Colorado.