What price will a fan pay for a ticket to a premium game? In Big 12 country, it's a small fortune.
The Oregonian conducted a survey of ticket prices nationwide, examining the face value of the most expensive and cheapest single-game ticket to games involving Bowl Championship Series teams. The Big 12's average price of $84.17 blew past the competition.
Games involving Big 12 teams occupied to top five spots:
- $125 for the Nov. 27 Oklahoma-Oklahoma State game in Stillwater.
- $110 for the Oct. 2 Oklahoma-Texas game at the Cotton Bowl.
- $100 for the Nov. 25 Texas A&M-Texas game in Austin.
- $100 for the Oct. 23 Nebraska-Oklahoma State game in Stillwater.
- $95 for the Sept. 18 Texas-Texas Tech game in Lubbock.
Granted, this is merely the face value price of tickets. Just to have an opportunity to purchase such a ticket involves a donation of thousands of dollars to a university or its athletic department. That swings open the door to prime seats.